How and why to make the perfect Chai tea.
Chai is one of my favourite teas. Perhaps it’s not too surprising if I say that chai perfectly fits my December mood, when I want to cozy up, snuggle and sit in the corner of the sofa with the huge mug of a hot, yummy beverage.
The traditional tea has its origin in India, where its name is Masala Chai. It contains a mixture of aromatic herbs and spices, and once you are hooked you will consume liters of it. And why not? Unlike coffee where scientists are often debating rather or not it is healthy and gives you the pros and cons chai tea is a tea you can drink and it only has benefits. Further more, you can make it your self, so it fits your taste butts and perfect it to your style and temperament. The recipie below is my personal favourite and a good starting point to make your own personal chai-mix.
Spice ingredients for one pot of tea
- 1 Tbsp fennel or anise seed
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 12 whole cloves
- 1-2 cinnamon stick
- 2 cm ginger root, sliced thin
- 6-7 whole white pepper corns
- A bit of Nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 Cups water
- Afterwards add 2 tbsp of Darjeeling
- 5 tbsp of coconut sugar
- Milk (feel free to use soya milk instead)
In a saucepan, add spices to 1 cup of water. Boil it, then remove the heat and let ir rest for about 5-7 minutes. Add milk to the water with spices. Bring it to boil. Add the tea to the liquid and let it rest for about 10 minutes. Traditionally, sugar is added right before serving. Enjoy!
Some of the benefits to be on team Chai
It has much less caffeine than coffee. You have to drink atleast three cups of chai tea to receive the same amount of caffeine than in a regular coffee. Besides, there are are many beneficial ingredients in Chai. The black tea in chai contains many antioxidants and the spices in chai have been used for decades to promote general health and in treating illnesses. Today the ingredients in chai are believed to be beneficial in many ways. F.eks to reduce the risk of cancer. Cardamom, cinnamon and ginger contain antioxidants and phytochemicals that are believed to help prevent certain cancers such as bowel and stomach. Another plus to team chai is that chai spices such as cinnamon and ginger have been shown to balance hormones and alleviate pain associated with PMS
- Anise is used as a cough remedy and to freshen the breath.
- Fennel has been used to treat both kidney laryngitis and ocular problems.
- Cardamom is beneficial for lungs, kidneys, and heart. It is also a mood elevator.
- Clove contain pain-relieving and antiseptic attributes.
- Cinnamon is known to increase circulation, increase awareness and vitality, and most importantly reduce fatigue. Aparently it is furthermore reputed as being an aphrodisiac!
- Ginger improves circulation and immune system
- Black Pepper is known and used to support circulation and metabolism, black pepper can help to alleviate chronic coldness.
- Nutmeg has been used for centuries to ease sciatica and promote the digestion. In the ancient Arab world it was used to It was treat kidney and lymph issues.